We have a selection of GOTS certified organic products including our produce bags available in canvas ideal for dry goods, and mesh which are ideal for fruit and veg , to help you avoid needing plastic bags when you’re doing your food shopping.
Why do we only ever produce products using GOTS certified organic cotton?
Organic cotton is grown using methods and materials that have a low impact on the
environment. Organic production systems replenish and maintain soil fertility, reduce the
use of toxic and persistent pesticides and fertilizers, and build biologically diverse
Source: Organic Trade Association
Because modern farming practices have meant that most cotton produced use GM seeds, unnatural pesticides, fertilizers and insecticides and overall work against nature, instead of working with her. Fast fashion, among other industries have driven the demand for cotton to over 300% in the last 80 years, yet the actual land mass for producing cotton hasn’t increased, meaning this demand has only been met by implementing highly intensive farming, the impact of which is detrimental for the farmers, the land, the local eco-systems and uses a lot more water than organic farms.
Here is a break down of key differences between organic and conventional farming practices:
|Organic Cotton Farming
Soil & Water
|Conventional Cotton Farming
Soil & Water
- Source: Eco Friend Online
According to the Soil Associatin, GOTS is the leading textile processing standard for organic fibres. When we certify to the GOTS standard, we check every step of the supply chain, from harvesting through production, processing, manufacturing and labelling. We also consider the environmental management and social responsibility of producers.
GOTS is a voluntary standard – key facts
- GOTS approved products must contain at least 70% organic fibre content
- GOTS approved products never contain potentially harmful chemicals which can be found in conventional textile production
- GOTS approved companies are better for the environment (by managing their environmental impact, have high social standards, reduce energy and review water usage)
- GOTS means safe working conditions, no discrimination and no child labour
- GOTS approved products have the entire supply chain verified, even the farms must have certification to a legally recognised standard.
- The details matter! Buttons, threads, zips have to also meet strict residue criteria of GOTS
- GOTS Certification is carried out by independent companies and facilities are physically inspected to verify standards are met.
Source: Soil Association
We have also produced or are expanding our range to include the follwing:
- Shoe bags
- Bread bag
- Make-up remover wipes
- Muslim Cotton Rounds
- Muslin Cotton Squares
Custom order are happily received, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Soil Association: https://www.soilassociation.org/certification/fashion-textiles/types-of-certification/gots-certification/
Organic Trade Association: https://ota.com/sites/default/files/indexed_files/Organic-Cotton-Facts.pdf
Eco Friend Online: http://ecofriendonline.com/2016/03/31/why-organic-cotton-vs-non-organic/